On Saturday as we were eating lunch, my son asked about the first days of our relationship with my husband. You know, kids are always curious and want to learn how their parents were met and eventually got married. So, we both started telling him the story of our getting together. Unavoidably, the story arrived at the point where he came to my home and cooked for him. He raved about my cooking and caring and he explained to our son how warm and beautifully he felt at that time.
Food in my family played a key role in every event. It was the means to show our love, affection, family bonding, celebrations or sadness and losses. There was always an opportunity for gatherings and back then those gatherings meant food, a lot of food. Bringing home someone to meet my parents it was a cause to celebrate and cook. I think we managed to do a real impression on him, haha and he also loved my mother’s cooking. Later he found out that I got the same love for food and as he said to our son he considers himself very lucky.
It was during our first days of dating that he invited me at his home to cook dinner for me. He said to me that he was not trying to impress me, that would never be possible, only to show his love and affection. He went ahead and made a delicious Pasta with Tuna sauce and a Cabbage Salad with Mayonnaise Sauce. I loved both and said to him that he should learn more. Nevertheless, once we got married, he left all cooking to me. He was and still is working long hours at the office and once he returns home, he is totally exhausted, no time or mood for cooking, I totally understand that.
So, once he told our son about that dinner, he asked his dad if he could make that pasta again for him. My husband said that he would love to and so he did on Sunday. I have forgotten how delicious this pasta was in its simplicity and this was a great chance to be reminded of. My son ate two portions and all the leftovers for dinner and he made his dad promise that once a month on a weekend he would cook this pasta for us. I think that as much as it is important eating something from mom, it is equally of importance having something from his father.
I am giving you the recipe because it is a great dish for weekends but most of all for busy weekdays as it is very easy and can be made while pasta is cooked. Easy, quick and delicious makes it the perfect choice!
- 450 gr. / 16 oz. canned tuna in water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Olive oil for sautéing the onions
- 2 ½ cups tomato juice
- 2 tsp double concentrated tomato paste
- Salt, pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 500 gr. / 18 oz. spaghetti (or any other pasta you like)
- In a pot cook pasta, according to your liking.
- While pasta is cooking make the tuna sauce.
- In a pot pour the olive oil and sauté the onions in medium heat until they become soft.
- Add the tomato juice, tomato paste, salt, pepper, sugar and oregano and bring to gentle boil.
- Boil for 3 to five minutes and then add the tuna drained from its juices.
- Crumble the tuna and stir.
- Let it simmer for about 10 to 15 more minutes and it is ready.
- Serve over pasta and sprinkle some cheese.
- 450 γρ. κονσέρβα τόνου σε νερό
- 2 μέτρια κρεμμύδια, ψιλοκομμένα
- Ελαιόλαδο για να σοτάρουμε τα κρεμμύδια
- 2 ½ φλ. χυμό ντομάτας
- 2 κ.γ. ντοματοπελτέ
- Αλάτι, πιπέρι
- 1 κ.γ. ξερή ρίγανη
- 1 κ.σ. ζάχαρη
- 500 γρ. σπαγγέτι (ή οποιαδήποτε άλλα ζυμαρικά σας αρέσουν)
- Σε μια κατσαρόλα μαγειρεύετε τα ζυμαρικά, σύμφωνα με τις προτιμήσεις σας.
- Ενώ τα ζυμαρικά ετοιμάζονται κάνετε τη σάλτσα τόνου.
- Σε μια κατσαρόλα ρίχνουμε το ελαιόλαδο και σοτάρουμε τα κρεμμύδια σε μέτρια φωτιά μέχρι να μαλακώσουν.
- Προσθέτουμε το χυμό ντομάτας, τον πελτέ ντομάτας, το αλάτι, το πιπέρι, τη ζάχαρη και τη ρίγανη και τα φέρνουμε σε ήπιο βρασμό.
- Βράζουμε για 3-5 λεπτά και στη συνέχεια προσθέτουμε τον τόνο στραγγισμένο από τα υγρά του.
- Θρυμματίζουμε τον τόνο και ανακατεύουμε.
- Αφήνουμε να σιγοβράσει για περίπου 10 έως 15 λεπτά και είναι έτοιμο.
- Σερβίρετε πάνω από τα μακαρόνια και πασπαλίστε λίγο τυρί.