Spanakotiropita (Spinach Pie with Feta)
3 spring onions, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 kg. spinach, fresh or frozen (thawed)
400 gr. feta cheese
Bunch of dill, chopped
2 eggs, divided
A handful of cracked wheat
7 thick phyllo sheets
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 kg. spinach, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 400 gr. feta cheese
- Bunch of dill, chopped
- 2 eggs, divided
- A handful of cracked wheat
- Salt, pepper
- 7 thick phyllo sheets
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Oil with olive oil a pan 32cmX41cm.
- In a skillet put couple of tbsp of olive oil and in medium-high heat sauté the two types of onion.
- Add the spinach. If you use frozen just let it thaw and add it. If you use fresh, wash it and add it to the skillet.
- Sauté until the spinach reduces its volume and then add the dill.
- Sauté for couple of minutes more.
- Remove the skillet from fire and add carefully the egg so as not to be baked.
- Add the feta, the cracked wheat, salt and pepper.
- Mix until everything is incorporated.
- Now take the oiled pan.
- Put one phyllo sheet, oil it.
- Put above it second sheet oil it as well. Do that for four sheets.
- In the last one you do not oil since you will add the filling.
- After you have laid 4 sheets spread evenly the filling. Above it place the remaining phyllo sheets just like you did before.
- Take one egg, whisk slightly and with a brush spread it evenly on top of the last phyllo sheet. In this way the sheet will become shiny.
- Put in the oven for about 40 minutes or until golden on top.
- Just a note: You can add leeks as well. I didn’t have this time. But you chop them and sauté them with the onions.