One day all birds gathered in the woods and decided to create a school for their small ones to learn how to read and write. They found a teacher and a place and the school opened for all the little birds of the forest. After a few days some small ones went to school without having done their homework. The teacher decided to keep them at school so they could write their homework and be taught a lesson. Among those who stayed was owl’s child.
After the end of school and while many of the children have returned home, the owl realized that her child was not one of them. She decided to go to school to find out what had happened and give her baby something to eat. On her way there, she met with partridge. Her child stayed at school also and she had the same idea with the owl.
Once they met the partridge said to the owl: “Please Mrs. Owl would it be possible to give my child his snack, as I am too busy and I don’t have the time to take it myself?”
The owl replied: “Of course I can do that Mrs. Partridge, but I don’t know which one is your child.”
“Oh, don’t worry about that! You will be able to recognize it very easily as it is the most beautiful child in school.” The partridge said.
The owl took the partridge’s snack and went to school. She asked the teacher if she could give the food to the children and the teacher allowed her to do so.
The owl went in the classroom, looked carefully at all the children, but she couldn’t find partridge’s child. So, she returned back to the forest found the partridge and gave her back the snack and said: “I am so sorry Mrs. Partridge, I looked carefully each and every child in the classroom but I couldn’t find your child, because the most beautiful child in there was my child.”
This little story is one of the most famous Greek fairytales about mother’s love and how she perceives her child. It is so famous that when we hear a mother talking with laudatory remarks about her child we call her owl. Unquestionably, mother’s love for her children is sacred and the bond among them is so strong that can’t be broken by anyone.
Mother’s Day is coming and it is a great chance to show our love to the person who brought us to life and raised us to become the adults we are. Since the weather is getting warmer and warmer I thought that this strawberry sorbet is just the perfect little thing to show her our affection and love. Let’s make her day as sweet as our feelings for her!
- 1 kilo / 2lb. fresh strawberries
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- In a small pot put the water and sugar on medium heat.
- When it starts to boil reduce heat to low and let it cook until all sugar is well dissolved.
- Put aside to cool.
- In a strong blender mash your strawberries really well until you have a smooth pulp.
- In the blender and while it works pour the honey and the water/sugar and at slow speed let them incorporate.
- Stop the blender.
- If you want you can go ahead and pass it through a sieve to take out the small parts and seeds but I don’t want to waste even a teaspoon of strawberries.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl and put it in the fridge for at least one hour maximum three to get cold.
- Remove put it in the ice cream maker and start the machine.
- After 30 to 35 minutes your sorbet is ready to go to the freezer.
- Freeze overnight and next day you have yourself a delicious, homemade strawberry sorbet with honey.
- 1 κιλό φρέσκες φράουλες
- ⅔ φλ. νερό
- ½ κ.γ. ζάχαρη
- ½ φλ. μέλι
- 2 κ.σ. χυμό λεμoνιού
- Σε μια μικρή κατσαρόλα βάλτε το νερό και τη ζάχαρη σε μέτρια φωτιά.
- Όταν αρχίζει να βράσει μειώστε τη θερμοκρασία στο χαμηλό και αφήστε το στη φωτιά έως ότου λιώσει όλη η ζάχαρη.
- Βάλτε στην άκρη να κρυώσει.
- Σε ένα δυνατό μπλέντερ πολτοποιήστε τις φράουλες καλά μέχρι να έχετε έναν λείο πολτό.
- Στο μπλέντερ και δουλεύει ρίξτε το μέλι και το νερό/ζάχαρη και ανακατέψτε να ενσωματωθούν με αργή ταχύτητα.
- Σταματήστε το μπλέντερ.
- Αν θέλετε μπορείτε να περάσετε τον πολτό μέσα από ένα κόσκινο για να φύγουν τα μικρά σποράκια.
- Εγώ δεν θέλω να χάσω ούτε ένα κουταλάκι από τις φράουλες και έτσι το άφησα όπως είναι.
- Αδειάστε το μείγμα σε ένα μπολ και βάλτε το στο ψυγείο για τουλάχιστον μία ώρα έως τρεις να κρυώσει.
- Βάλτε το στην παγωτομηχανή και ξεκινήστε το μηχάνημα.
- Μετά από 30 έως 35 λεπτά το σορμπέ είναι έτοιμο να πάει στη κατάψυξη.
- Καταψύξτε όλη τη νύχτα και καταναλώστε το την επόμενη μέρα.