Η συνταγή και στα ελληνικά στο τέλος της ανάρτησης!
Greece is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and it owns no less than 2,500 islands, 165 of which are inhabited. It is a mountainous country with a few plains scattered here and there. There are specific areas in the mainland, where no plain exists and people live in the slopes or feet of rocky mountains. In the old days, these people were quite secluded from the big urban areas and in some cases they stayed that way for the whole winter. As you can understand the range of food they consumed was limited to what they were cultivating or breathing or to everything they could get from Mother Nature. Greek country is full of greens and herbs that have a very unique and delicious taste.
Sifnos is an island that belongs in the Cyclades island group in Greece. Sifnos was inhabited from at least 4,000. Archeological evidence shows that the island was very wealthy in ancient times, thanks to its gold, silver, and lead, which were being mined there as early as the 3rd millennium BC. According to Pausanias, these mines were obliterated by floods in ancient times, a disaster which some attributed to the people of the island suspending their tribute out of greed. Modern scholars suggest that some of the mines flooded because they had eventually been dug to a depth below sea level, while the majority of them, situated far from the sea, were probably exhausted. Remains of ancient mines, some dating back to prehistoric times, are still to be seen on the island. Another indication of Sifnos’s wealth is the fact that it was one of the first places in Greece to mint coins.
Just like all Greek islands it has beautiful sandy beaches and blue waters. One of the local sweets is this Melopita (Honey Pie). It is made with a local cheese called Mizithra, but you can substitute with Ricotta. It is a very easy and quick pie and if you top it with cinnamon and honey, then it becomes a super decadent and delicious dessert!
- 1 kilo/ 2 lb. ricotta cheese (or in Greece Mizithra)
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp self- rising flour
- Add the ricotta cheese, the honey and sugar in your mixer’s bowl and mix with the whisk.
- Add the cinnamon, the ground cloves and the eggs one by one.
- Add the flour and continue to mix.
- Take a squared pan 30cm X 23cm / 12in. X 9in., butter it and flour it very well.
- Take a chinois and pass the batter through it. In this way the little lumps of cheese are mashed and the batter becomes fine and velvety.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake in a preheated oven at 170° C / 350° F for 40 to 50 minutes or until it becomes firm in the center.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and pour some honey on top and serve.
- 1 κιλό μυζήθρα μαλακή
- 1 φλ. μέλι
- 1 φλ. ζάχαρη
- 6 αυγά
- ½ κ.γ. κανέλα αλεσμένη
- ¼ κ.γ. γαρύφαλλο
- 3 κ.σ. αλεύρι που φουσκώνει μόνο του
- Προσθέστε το τυρί, το μέλι και τη ζάχαρη στο μπολ του μίξερ σας και ανακατέψτε με το σύρμα.
- Προσθέστε την κανέλα, τα γαρύφαλλα και τα αυγά ένα-ένα.
- Προσθέστε το αλεύρι και συνεχίστε να αναμιγνύετε.
- Πάρτε ένα τετράγωνο ταψί 30 cm X 23cm, βουτυρώστε το και αλευρώστε το πολύ καλά.
- Πάρτε ένα κόσκινο και περάστε το μείγμα μέσα από αυτό.
- Με αυτόν τον τρόπο τα μικρά κομμάτια του τυριού πολτοποιούνται και το μείγμα γίνεται λείο και βελούδινο.
- Ρίξτε το μείγμα στο ταψί και ψήστε σε προθερμασμένο φούρνο στους 170° C για 40 έως 50 λεπτά ή μέχρι να σταθεροποιηθεί στο κέντρο.
- Ρίξτε λίγη κανέλα και λίγο μέλι από πάνω και σερβίρετε!