Η συνταγή και στα ελληνικά στο τέλος της ανάρτησης!
Hello to all of you my dear friends! I wish 2015 to bring to you in abundance whatever the old year has deprived you of. May this New Year be the dawn of new ventures, new achievements, new hopes, new loves, new friendships and the successful completion of old goals, old plans and old dreams! Let’s hope that this time next year, we will all be here in good health and mood and wish for the future.
My family and I left the city for a few days and went to Nafplion (a loving destination) where we spent times of relaxation, fun and got to see our friends. Nafplion is the first capital of Greece and you can learn more about it here. While been there, we visited ancient theaters, the old castle and several other sights with archaeological interest.
But as they say all good moments end quickly and that is exactly what happened with these vacations too. We are now back home carrying in our bags all these beautiful moments and the melancholy that accompanies every return from holidays.
As I was unpacking and trying to organize my fridge and pantries so as to record all the shortages we had, I discovered two liters of milk expired. I have no idea whatever has gotten into me and I bought this much quantity of milk while I knew we were going away. I think it was that blank moment when you cannot think how much you have of something at your pantries.
Anyway, I had all this quantity of milk in my fridge and I hated throwing it away. I know that with the thermic processing companies use, milk has a long duration sometimes even after their expiration. The best way to check if your milk is edible is by boiling it. If you boil it and the milk doesn’t smell like sour and it doesn’t curdle then it is ok to use it. I did the test and I saw that the milk was perfectly fine. So, then I had to think what I should do with it. I forgot to mention also that I had 550 grams of feta cheese in my fridge too, again in good condition but with a serious chance of getting rotten in the next couple of days. Honestly, I have no idea why I bought all this stuff!
Having all these in my mind, I immediately thought of making a cheese pie. I, also, thought that since I had so much milk, I should make a pie without phylo or crust or anything of a short. In my father’s maternal area Thessaly, they make a no phylo cheese pie called batzína and they make it almost similar to this one.
I went straight to my kitchen and I started weighing and whisking. It is a very easy and tasty pie and if you don’t feel like making such a big quantity you can always half the recipe. Also, you don’t have to use phylo and all you have to do is to combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Very easy, very quick and a great little something for breakfast, snack or light lunch or dinner. You can eat it warm or at room temperature.
- 2 lt / 4 pints milk
- 5 to 5.5 cups self-rising flour
- 550 gr. / 19 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup regato cheese or any other yellow cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp salt depending on the saltiness of the feta cheese and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200° C / 400° F.
- Throw all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix until everything is incorporated.
- From the flour throw the first 5 cups and if the batter is still quite runny add the other ½ cup.
- Normally this batter, before adding the cheese, must have the texture of a pancake batter.
- Butter and flour a pan approximately 30cm X 40 cm / 12 in. X 16 in.
- Bake for about 50 minutes to one hour or until the crust has taken a golden color and the inside becomes firm.
- 2 λίτρα γάλα φρέσκο
- 5-5,5 φλιτζάνια αλεύρι που φουσκώνει μόνο του
- 550 γρ. φέτα, θρυμματισμένη
- 1 φλ. τυρί ρεγκάτο ή οποιοδήποτε άλλο κίτρινο τυρί, τριμμένο
- 2 αυγά
- ¼ φλ. ελαιόλαδο
- 2 κ.γ. ξερή ρίγανη
- 1 κ.γ ξερό βασιλικό
- ½ κ.γ. ξερό θυμάρι
- 2 κ.σ. άνηθο φρέσκο, ψιλοκομμένο
- 1,5 έως 2 κ.σ. αλάτι
- Προθερμένετε το φούρνο στους 200° C.
- Ρίξτε όλα τα υλικά σε ένα βαθύ μπολ και ανακατέψτε μέχρι τα πάντα να ενσωματωθούν.
- Από το αλεύρι ρίξτε τα πρώτα 5 φλυτζάνια και αν το μίγμα είναι ακόμα υδαρές προσθέστε και το άλλο ½ φλιτζάνι.
- Κανονικά αυτό το μίγμα, πριν προσθέσετε το τυρί, πρέπει να έχει την υφή του χυλού που φτιάχνουμε τις τηγανίτες.
- Βουτυρώνετε και αλευρώνετε ένα ταψί περίπου 30 cm X 40 cm.
- Ψήστε για περίπου 50 λεπτά έως μία ώρα ή έως ότου κάνει κρούστα και πάρει ένα χρυσό χρώμα και σταθεροποιηθεί το εσωτερικό.