fava of Santorini, shrimps, pepper, onion, tomato, wine, legume, Greek, main course, seafood
Marriage in Greece, just as I think in many other parts of this world, is very important not only for the couple, but also for the families and friends around.
In the old days the festivities started one week before the wedding.
On Monday the bride’s family cleaned and washed the dowry. Dowry was necessary for a girl to be able to find a husband and according to the economic status of the family was from moderate to very rich.
On Tuesday and Wednesday the aunts and cousins (girls) of the bride were coming to the bride’s house and all helped to iron and decorate the dowry. The dowry consisted of everything that was necessary for the house like towels, sheets, pillows, blankets, comforters, china, flatware, etc. plus golden liras.
Wednesday night three little children, who had both their parents, kneaded the sourdough with which the bridal tsoureki (sweet bread) was made. The bride’s parents treated whoever was there with sweets and spirits like ouzo or tsipouro.
On Thursday young girls and boys were taking the dowry from the house of the bride to the house of the groom, where the newlyweds were going to stay after their marriage. The father of the groom paid money for the dowry to enter his house and it was placed and exhibited in a room that was specially arranged for that purpose.
On Friday both houses were making sweets and breads and were treating all friends and relatives who were passing by.
On Saturday festivities started and the groom went to the house of the bride to throw the handkerchief at her as they called it. People came at night to celebrate and eat.
On Sunday morning again the groom along with his family and relatives came to the bride’s house and either the marriage took place there or in other cases the bride was taken to the church on a carriage where the groom was expecting her.
After the marriage a big celebration with live orchestra took place and the father of the groom along with the mother of the bride gave money to the musicians. After the marriage the couple went to the groom’s house to reside and the girl was under the authority of the mother-in-law.
Nowadays things are much simpler and dowry is not a necessity anymore. Nevertheless, if parents have the economic ability, they try to provide their children with a home and all the furniture inside it. The marriage takes place in the church and then there is a reception for everyone to have fun and celebrate with the couple.
In many cases the couple goes to a household store to create a gift list. Then inside the wedding invitations, they inform their relatives and friends of this list in case they want to offer an amount of money at that particular store, so as for the couple to be able to acquire the items they picked up.
I was very happy when Zoulovits household stores, a very old and well esteemed brand, came to contact with me and offered to send me a dinner set to try and state my opinion. In fact, when I was about to get married, I bought many things from there and I was very happy with my choices and still have them and use them. They have a wide range of household items from very expensive to moderate and of a very high quality! The dinner set has a beautiful, colorful design on the left hand side and that gave me the inspiration to make these savory muffins in three different colors; red, green and yellow. They were super delicious and we ate most of them just as they came out of the oven.
They perfectly matched the dishes and I was very happy I was offered such a beautiful dinner set. It is microwave and dishwasher safe which are very important for me, since, during weekdays, time is so very limited for me. Overall, and after I have used them, I believe that it is a beautiful, trustworthy set that it is sold in a very logical price. Thanks Zoulovits for this beautiful gift!
Savory Rainbow Muffins
25 gr. / 1 oz. melted margarine
300 gr. / 10 oz. buttermilk
2 cups self rising flour + 2 tbsp
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
½ tsp salt
1 onion chopped
1 cup grated yellow cheese
200 gr. / 7 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1 tomato chopped
1 zucchini trimmed
1 yellow pepper chopped
Cherry tomatoes cut in half
Yellow pepper cut in slices
Zucchini in slices
Preheat oven to 180° C/ 345° F.
In a bowl pour the buttermilk, the margarine and the egg.
Throw the flour, the baking powder, soda, the salt, the onion, the feta and the yellow cheese and mix just to incorporate.
Divide the batter in three.
In the first add the chopped tomato and fold.
Add the 2 tbsp of flour and fold it to the batter.
In the second add the trimmed zucchini and fold.
In the third add the chopped yellow pepper and fold.
Take a 12 case muffin pan.
Put muffin papers and oil them.
Divide the batters equally to the muffin papers.
In the tomato muffins put on top one half cherry tomato.
In the zucchini muffins put on top one zucchini slice.
In the yellow pepper ones put on top one slice of yellow pepper.
You may have some batter left of all three so will have to make a second batch of 3 or 4 muffins.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove, let them cool a little bit and serve.
Desclaimer: Zoulovits store have sent me this dinner set to test and use in my cooking. I received no money from them and I have simply stated my opinion.
- 25 gr. / 1 oz. melted margarine
- 300 gr. / 10 oz. buttermilk
- 2 cups self rising flour + 2 tbsp
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated yellow cheese
- 200 gr. / 7 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 zucchini trimmed
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- Cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Yellow pepper cut in slices
- Zucchini in slices
- Preheat oven to 180° C/ 345° F.
- In a bowl pour the buttermilk, the margarine and the egg.
- Throw the flour, the baking powder, soda, the salt, the onion, the feta and the yellow cheese and mix just to incorporate.
- Divide the batter in three.
- In the first add the chopped tomato and fold.
- Add the 2 tbsp of flour and fold it to the batter.
- In the second add the trimmed zucchini and fold.
- In the third add the chopped yellow pepper and fold.
- Take a 12 case muffin pan.
- Put muffin papers and oil them.
- Divide the batters equally to the muffin papers.
- In the tomato muffins put on top one half cherry tomato.
- In the zucchini muffins put on top one zucchini slice.
- In the yellow pepper ones put on top one slice of yellow pepper.
- You may have some batter left of all three so will have to make a second batch of 3 or 4 muffins.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove, let them cool a little bit and serve.
- 25 γρ. λιωμένη μαργαρίνη
- 300 γρ. ξυνόγαλα
- 2 φλ. αλεύρι που φουσκώνει μόνο του + 2 κ.σ.
- 2 κ.γ. μπέικιν πάουντερ
- 1 κ.γ. σόδα
- ½ κ.γ. αλάτι
- 1 κρεμμύδι ψιλοκομμένο
- 1 αυγό
- 1 φλ. τριμμένο κίτρινο τυρί
- 200 γρ. τυρί φέτα τριμμένη
- 1 ντομάτα ψιλοκομμένη
- 1 κολοκυθάκι τριμμένο
- 1 κίτρινη πιπεριά ψιλοκομμένη
- Τοματίνια κομμένα στη μέση
- Κίτρινη πιπεριά κομμένη σε φέτες
- Κολοκυθάκια σε φέτες
- Προθερμαίνετε το φούρνο στους 180° C.ή
- Σε ένα μπολ ρίξτε το ξυνόγαλα, τη μαργαρίνη και το αυγό.
- Ρίξτε το αλεύρι, το μπέικιν πάουντερ, σόδα, το αλάτι, το κρεμμύδι, την φέτα και τα τυριά και ανακατέψτε απλά μέχρι να ενσωματώθούν.
- Μοιράστε το μίγμα στα τρία.
- Στο πρώτο προσθέστε την ψιλοκομμένη τομάτα και ανακατέψτε.
- Προσθέστε άλλες 2 κ.σ. αλεύρι και ενσωματώστε το.
- Στο δεύτερο προσθέστε τα κομμένα κολοκυθάκια και ανακατέψτε.
- Στο τρίτο προσθέστε την ψιλοκομμένη κίτρινη πιπεριά και ανακατέψτε.
- Πάρτε ένα ταψί για μάφινς με δώδεκα θέσεις.
- Βάλτε θήκες για μάφινς και λαδώστε τις.
- Μοιράστε τα μίγματα στις θήκες.
- Στα μάφινς με τη ντομάτα βάλτε από πάνω από μισό τοματίνι.
- Στα μάφινς με τα κολοκυθάκια βάλτε στην κορυφή μία φέτα κολοκύθι.
- Στα μάφινς με την πιπεριά βάλτε στην κορυφή μία ροδέλα κίτρινης πιπεριάς.
- Μπορεί να χρειαστεί να γεμίσετε και μια δεύτερη παρτίδα με 3 ή 4 muffins.
- Ψήστε για 30 λεπτά.
It was featured at: